Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hop Jam Ramble








As someone who isn’t a huge craft beer fan, I was eager to taste the different beers in hopes that I had just passed judgment too early on and maybe I would find one I liked. I read in one of the local Tulsa papers that the Hop Jam broke attendance records last year making it the largest craft beer festival in Oklahoma. This year was no different, with just a little over 20,000 people in attendance. I also read in Tulsa World that last year there were 13 brewers in attendance, this year that number increased to 30. 

As VIP’s we were given these cool  lanyards  with shot glasses attached to them that had Hop Jam written on the outside in green and a green trucker style hat to match. I felt like a beer gangster about to ride. The weather was beautiful, but hot and there were tons of people everywhere, yet it didn’t feel crowded as we walking around the streets. The lines moved relatively quick and the brewers made extra effort to keep the beer flowing.

Just after we set out on our beer tasting quest we saw Isaac and Taylor at the Mmmhops booth serving beer, then saw Zac, with his dog in tow, busy mingling in a crowd that surrounded him nearby. After tasting a few beers we made our way to a somewhat long line at the Mmmhops booth. I wish I could have told my former teen self that one day that Isaac Hanson would serve me beer, I’m getting a image of myself bugged eyes and in disbelief. I spotted a friend who was already in line so we jumped in next to her. As we stood in line my mind I was trying to figure out which with beer I wanted to taste the Okie stout or the Framhouse brew and would this be the time to ask Isaac for a picture with him ( my first). When it was my turn to taste the Mmmhops goodness I noticed Taylor had already disappeared from the booth to do whatever Taylor does when he disappears (My theory is he’s found the fountain of youth and he’s hiding it in his office at 3CGS and needed a refresher).


So with my shot glass ready and my iPhone camera on standby we approached the booth. Isaac said hello with a smile and asked which beer I wanted to try, I had no clue so I said ‘you pick’. Isaac looked surprised and made a ‘ I don’t know ‘ expression, then thought for a second and decided to give me the Farmhouse brew, took my shot glass and filled it up. After some brief bantering back and forth, which is still all a bit of a blur, I decided this was the picture moment and went for the ‘Will you take a picture with us ‘ question; the problem is, if you’ve read any of my blogs about my picture experiences with Hanson, you know what came out of my mouth was not what was rehearsed in my mind. So you guessed it - instead of ‘will you take a photo with us? ‘ ‘Would you take a backwards pic with us ‘ came out. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, not only did I instantly regret not practicing that phrase more than just the time spent staying in line, but I single handedly confused Isaac Hanson, life fail moment #345. I attempted to play it off like it was Urban slang with a casual smile like it was the new it phrase and only us cool people like Isaac and myself would get it , but before I could, Isaac said ‘ You mean like a photo?’,  to which I replied ‘ yeah, is that ok?’ Isaac said ‘ of course!’ and I proceeded to hand him my phone that I was holding while telling him ‘ I’ll let you take it, you’re better at this than I am’.  I don’t really know exactly what possessed me to hop my happy butt onto booth table, but I did. I didn’t knock anything over and I didn’t fall off, so I consider that  awkward winning.
My friend Kristie and Isaac and I all leaned in for the picture. Isaac snapped a couple of pictures right in a row and afterwards handed me back my phone, at which point I did contemplate how long I could go without wiping off the Isaac palm sweat off the case. I thanked him and he replied with ‘no problem’ and we started to make our way to the other booths to taste some more of the hoppy goodness. Floating on cloud nine that finally after attending 8 Hanson tours I finally scored a picture with Isaac (and it was in focus too!!)

Speaking of life fail moments, I should probably also mention a brief opps when Taylor and Isaac were doing a TV interview I was at a some what distance behind them carrying on a conversation with some friends. We may or may not have been too loud laughing and may or may not have gotten the ‘ shut up ‘ look from Taylor. Sorry guys for not paying attention to our volume level or the interview
Photo Credit: Janet Kuminski

I tried to take in a much of the event as I could and when it was time for the live music to begin we made our way over to a stage that had been set up for the event. We ended up standing 2nd ish 3rd ish row Taylor’s side right in front of the piano. Once the other bands invited to the event had finished their set, there was energy happening in the crowd that had grown quite large, that began to shift.
This could only mean one thing: Hanson was about to take the stage. As they walked out to a cheering crowd suddenly, the sweltering heat evaporated and two undeniable realities occurred to me in that moment: one, Hanson walking on stage will always make my heart skip a beat and two, how is it possible I end up standing behind a lady in a wheelchair at almost every show? I don’t remember what songs were played or what order they played them in, but I do remember having one of the best times at the concert I’d had in a while.

Verdict: Raise and praise to the power of Hanson .







No comments:

Post a Comment