Thursday, May 21, 2015

MOE 2015

At some point I tried to be objective when I was writing my blog/review of MOE 2015, then I realized it was impossible. Maybe if I were writing a blog on an event alien to me it’d be easier to be objective. The thing is I’ve been attending MOE since my first one in 2009 so I feel like I’m a seasoned veteran and not being myself didn’t feel right. So here goes:

Day one- 

I hit terrible traffic leaving Dallas. This was partially due to the fact that I waited till the very last min to pack and partially due to the fact that I spent the morning re thinking everything I was going to wear each day. It’s a women thing, or maybe just a me thing. Either way after the traditional stuck in traffic selfie was posted on my Instagram I began scrolling my social media feed as the traffic stayed at a stand still for the next 20mins.

I don’t normally geek out about band merch but there it was on my Facebook feed: a grey beanie with the Hanson logo tastefully placed on it. I could have sworn when I enlarged the picture I heard the merch angels sing. Next thing I knew I had frantically started texting friends who were already there to get me one. Sadly this story didn’t end well, as the beanies,sold out before I could get my hands on one.

Verdict: I should have seen this as a sign that the weekend was going to be a roller coaster of excitement and disappointment.Looking on the bright side the beanie is now available in the HNET store.

Pictures- Why is it when I’m in my normal life environment getting up early isn’t a strong personal characteristic? Give me a Hanson induced high and 6:00 am is no big deal. It doesn’t hurt either that the Fairfield Inn offered free breakfast; which is the way to go on any trip, saves time and money. Plus I can’t stand the massive headache that incurs trying to remember where the nearest Starbucks is in an area I only visit once a year.
After checking in that morning (which went unbelievably smooth minus me leaving my bowling team shirt at the table) Kristie and I ran back to the hotel to get ready for the group picture with all 3 members of the band. I pretend that there’s no such thing as that nervous panic that sets in when your getting ready for a moment that lasts about 3.2 seconds. But that would be lying.

The line for pictures surprisingly moved fairly fast to enter the Cain’s ballroom where the guys were waiting for us and , the weather was rather pleasant and sunny. At the risk of sounding like a total fangirl, the words of my favorite Paramore song perfectly describe the moment of walking in to have our picture taken with the best band in the world perfectly: ‘I should be over all the butterflies, but after all this time I’m still into you.’
First up in the receiving line was Isaac, wearing his usual tribute to Johnny Cash all black entire. He had a big Isaac style smile and warmly greeted us with a friendly handshake. . Isaac reminded us to keep moving down the line probably because everyone started a mad scramble to stand by his or her favorite Hanson. After Isaac, Taylor was next up and was waiting with his hand extended, offering a handshake and a warm friendly greeting as well. After a quick ‘hey’ to Taylor my next mission was to make it to Zac, who was standing on the end. My quick plan of action was to say something incredibly witty, wowing him with my bantering skills and signify a possible bestie status.What I actually did say ‘I just wanted to say hi’ instead. It was exactly like the moment in the movie Dirty Dancing when Jennifer Grey meets Patrick Swayne for the first time and all she says is ‘I carried a water melon’. Zac mumbled ‘hi’ in return offered a handshake almost as if he, too, was disappointed at my lack of cleverness.
After my Zac new bestie fail moment I swiftly went to stand next to Taylor who quickly informed me I’m one of the small ones and placed his hand on mine and another fellow shorty’s back moving us in front of him making a robot like sound effect people make when they want to imply movement. It went something like “ do do do do do.” Being that I’ve never been good at fake smiling I’m pretty sure I made a very obvious “GREAT!! Taylor Hanson doesn’t want to stand next to me in the picture cos I’m short” expression. Then, seconds later, he put his hand on my right shoulder and told everyone to get closer together. Which I did - at which point Taylor joked “ Wow that’s close!”. We then took a couple pictures and all was right in my world again.

Verdict: Wedges are always a good option ; practice witty banter in the mirror and re-watch Dirty Dancing on Netflix.


The Lectures

Taylor’s Song Stories- There aren’t many musicians that I admire to the extent of paying to listen to them discuss their art. Taylor Hanson is one of the three. For his lecture , Taylor asked fans to write a short submission of 300 or less words; One by one Taylor pulled fans on stage and discussed the songs that had meaning in their lives and why. At first it was interesting as he talked about Never Let Go being a lullaby instead of a sappy love song and looking at Waiting For This as a motivation song for a marathon race. After that, I began to lose my attention and I was starting to look at my watch, wondering when it would be over. I expected more of a panel music discussion where fans would openly talk about their music, instead of Taylor re enacting what reminded me of a old SNL skit where Chris Farley interviews Paul McCartney.Only Taylor's much cuter than Chris.

It’s possible my review has a tiny bit of grumpy in it. I had put way too much effort into my submission, only to find that after I submitted it, someone on the 3CG staff went and changed the rules for the contest to clarify .There were many submissions, but I wouldn’t be human if there wasn’t a moment of crossing my fingers, hoping that my story had made enough of an impact to be called on stage, instead of being lost in an email inbox with the other submissions. 


Update: After writing this I was reminded by a friend about Taylor playing 'With You in Your Dreams' as a solo at the end of his lecture. This means, I have to let it slide that things didn't turn out the way I hoped. Truly a beautiful moment that left me with tears. 

Verdict: Jump fearlessly, even if it means no one will ever notice.



Isaac’s Lecture-

Last year Isaac wowed the crowd at MOE with his insane amount of knowledge of mixing and audio, pulling out songs that were 10 years old and mixing them on stage. So when it was his turn at the mic this year I expected nothing less. He discussed Lonely Again and played different vocals, including Zac in a lower range than we are all used to hearing and last but not least, the Bridges of Stone moment that rocked our worlds. I feel like nothing I could write would do his lecture justice other than just saying it was awesome!

Verdict : Old man badass was in the house!



Zac’s Lecture: As one of my three favorite band members, the energy Zac brings to the table should be bottled up and sold to Red Bull. Where does he find it? And how does he find it? I’m quite certain a lot of sleep isn’t a factor.His natural ability to just whip a song out right before your eyes, record it and here’s the kicker ….wait for it …wait for it …. make it SOUND GOOD still blows my mind. It’s why he gets paid the big bucks. Zac is always entertaining and really knows how to make a crowd laugh or maybe that’s just me who finds him insanely funny. When he hits the stage for his lecture you quickly sit up straight in your chair because you know it’s about to get good. I’m always so impressed with his confidence during his lecture. He is so comfortable on stage you’d think he’s been doing this since he was 6 years old. ;)



Verdict: Zac Hanson is a rockstar


The movie: Closing out day 2 ended with seeing a Hanson movie in the theater. I have done this the last few years and I think next year I’m going to skip it. Here’s why: It’s the same movies we’ve all seen just on a larger screen. I adore this band really I do, but the movie aspect I wish was more exciting and less “oh oh ‘member this part from the DVD I own.”

Verdict: Save the $12 bucks for the bar.


4 comments:

  1. That was a really good post! I wish more people blogged about Hanson events. It's a lot more interesting to read from a fan's perspective - everybody experiences things differently and everyone's experience is unique.
    You have a very funny, irreverent writing style and I particularly liked the 'verdict' sections at the end. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha so great! And it's not only you that find Zac extreofunny and entertaining...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your such a doll!!!! Thank you this made my day :)

      Delete